Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What you said: T.R. Knight comes out

gay lesbian pride parade Last week at this time, T.R. Knight was just one of the many not-so-well-known young actors on prime-time television. But after making headlines Thursday by coming out publicly as a gay man, the "Grey's Anatomy" star's profile has definitely risen -- especially with Gay.com members.

Not only did Knight win Gay.com's
"Prime time's hottest doctors" poll by pulling in 32 percent of the vote (and beating out co-star and fellow hunk Eric Dane), his coming out was the hot topic of discussion last week on the Gay.com message boards.

Here's what you said!

tango_ak2001
It shouldn't be big deal, but every time a public person comes out, I get a thrill. Good for you, T.R. Maybe some day being gay won't be a cause for concern and no one will have to "come out."

BTW . . . I almost fell out of my chair when Eric Dane (McSteamy) walked out of the bathroom.


Rockfan05The reason this is such a good thing is because TR Knight is actually a very good actor. Sure, knowing he's gay in real life is a great thing, but what's even better is that his real-life sexuality will hopefully have no impact on his playing his character on the show.

There are certain openly gay actors who, in my opinion, have a certain quality/charisma that could make them prime-time leading men playing gay or straight characters.

For instance, look at Robert Gant. He's gay in real life, played a great gay character on "QAF," but I could absolutely see him playing, say, a straight father of three very convincingly on a prime-time sitcom.

My point is that some openly gay actors -- and I think T.R. Knight is one of them -- have enough acting talent that their real-life sexuality wouldn't interfere with them continuing to get mainstream roles. The more this happens, the better it is for all of us. Way to go, T.R.!
busybilly
Ever since I started watching the show I liked T.R. (simple, not overplayed or staged ) -- he was being himself. Hot and handsome in his own way and I like it ( I like it a lot). I'm glad that you have joined the family. Keep doing what your doing because you're red hot in my book .

NTXgypsy
Kudos to T.R. Knight for coming out! I think it's great that these celebrities are feeling more comfortable and confident to be open about their sexuality. It really shouldn't matter what they do in their personal lives . . . but we're dealing with the str8t community, after all (grin)! T.R. and the actor from "Special Victims Unit" are phenomenal actors -- gay, str8t, blue or green!! Proud moment for us all.

AdamKSTJ
McDreamy, McSteamy and now McQueenie! U rock George!

surrealfeel
Glad to see another actor on a major TV show coming out. This is another step toward social acceptance across America. This role will hopefully demonstrate that we're NOT the stereotypical "interior decorating/makeover fag" or "freak of nature that God has to change." We're just regular people, amongst society, quietly doing our jobs, paying our mortgage, and living among the masses.

Limoman52
I was hoping T.R. was gay, but didn't think it would happen. When I read about his "coming out" (just this evening), I asked myself if he would come out on the show as well, or did I miss something? Is he only gay on TV or only in real life but not on the show? i am tho confuthed! I would also like to see Eric on "CSI" to come out; he has to be gay!

No comments: